State law requires all children attend school daily unless they are ill or there is a family emergency.
If a child has five unexcused absences in one month or ten during the year, a petition must be filed with Kitsap County Courts. The definition of an excused absence is as follows:
- Health care appointments
- School-approved activities
- Parental approved activities (such as vacations, visitation of relatives, etc.):A family vacation is only excused if there is prior written approval by the building principal and there is not a serious, adverse effect on the educational progress of the student
- Religious reasons: The right of parents to determine when their child may be absent from public school in order to observe a religious holiday shall not be limited by school officials
It is very important that children attend school as regularly as possible, however, we encourage you not to send children when they are not feeling well enough to take part in regular school activities.
Parents must contact the school office before 9 a.m. to report that their child will not be in attendance on that day, or leave a message on the school’s voice mail between the hours of 4 p.m. and 8 a.m. When we do not hear from you, we will try to verify your child’s absence by contacting you at home or work. If we do not receive a note or phone contact within two days of the absence, the absence is considered unexcused.
Requests For Homework
Homework assignments are available for students who are absent. Please call the school office before 9:00 a.m. to allow teachers sufficient time to prepare assignments, which may be picked up the following school day.
Students who arrive after 9:10 a.m. must check in at the office before going to class. This will prevent them from being marked absent or not being included in the lunch count. If your child is to arrive after 9:30amand wishes to purchase a hot lunch, the office must receive a phone call with that request. If the office has not been called prior to 9:30 a.m. the student should bring a lunch to school.
Checking Students Out Early
There will be an occasion (doctor, dentist, etc.) when students need to leave class early. Help us to maximize learning time by making this a true exception. When students leave class early at the end of the day it creates disruptions of learning for all students. The classroom is called, the teacher is asked to restate ending directions and homework reminders, student learning time suffers. If you must check your child out early, please follow this procedure:
- Come to the office, provide picture identification to office staff.
- Sign your child out on the Child Check Out log at the frontdesk.
- Wait for the school staff to call the classroom and have your child come to the office.
Please plan an extra few minutes to complete this process, allowing the student to be located and to collect their belongings. Children will not be released before the end of school without an authorized adult.
As we increase the learning opportunities and requirements, interruptions must be minimized. Thank you for your help in planning appointments outside the school day when possible.